541713 Research and Development in NanotechnologyThis U.S. industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in conducting nanotechnology research and experimental development. Nanotechnology research and experimental development involves the study of matter at the nanoscale (i.e., a scale of about 1 to 100 nanometers). This research and development in nanotechnology may result in development of new nanotechnology processes or in prototypes of new or altered materials and/or products that may be reproduced, utilized, or implemented by various industries.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Conducting research and experimental development in biotechnology (except nanobiotechnology)--are classified in U.S. Industry 541714, Research and Development in Biotechnology (except Nanobiotechnology);
- Conducting research and experimental development in the physical, engineering, and life sciences (except nanotechnology and biotechnology)--are classified in U.S. Industry 541715, Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences (except Nanotechnology and Biotechnology);
- Providing veterinary testing services--are classified in Industry 541940, Veterinary Services;
- Providing physical, chemical, or other analytical testing services (except medical or veterinary), such as acoustics or vibration testing, calibration testing, electrical and electronic testing, geotechnical testing, mechanical testing, nondestructive testing, or thermal testing--are classified in Industry 541380, Testing Laboratories;
- Providing medical laboratory testing for humans--are classified in U.S. Industry 621511, Medical Laboratories; and
- Manufacturing products (e.g., apparel, electronic equipment, automotive equipment) using nanomaterials--are classified in Sector 31-33, Manufacturing, according to the process of the specific product made.
|541711||541711||541713||Nanobiotechnologies research and experimental development laboratories|
|54171||54171||541713||Nanotechnology research and development laboratories or services, all fields of science|