54171 - Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in conducting research and experimental development in the physical, engineering, and life sciences, such as agriculture, electronics, environmental, biology, botany, biotechnology, computers, chemistry, food, fisheries, forests, geology, health, mathematics, medicine, nanotechnology, oceanography, pharmacy, physics, veterinary, and other allied subjects.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Providing veterinary testing services--are classified in Industry 54194, Veterinary Services;
- Providing medical laboratory testing for humans--are classified in Industry 62151, Medical and Diagnostic Laboratories;
- Providing physical, chemical, or other analytical testing services (except medical or veterinary), such as acoustics or vibration testing, calibration testing, electrical and electronic testing, geotechnical testing, mechanical testing, nondestructive testing, or thermal testing--are classified in Industry 54138, Testing Laboratories;
- Manufacturing products (e.g., apparel, electronic equipment, automotive equipment) using nanomaterials--are classified in Sector 31-33, Manufacturing, according to the process of the specific product made; and
- Manufacturing vaccines, toxoids, blood fractions, and culture media of plant or animal origin (except diagnostic use) and/or uncompounded medicinal chemicals and their derivatives (i.e., enzyme proteins and antibiotics for pharmaceutical use)--are classified in Industry 32541, Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing.
NAICS Codes that fall under 54171 - Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences
Top Businesses by Annual Sales for 54171 – Click for Complete Profiles: