491110 Postal ServiceThis industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in providing mail services under a universal service obligation. Mail services include the carriage of letters, printed matter, or mailable packages, including acceptance, collection, processing, and delivery. Due to the infrastructure requirements of providing mail service under a universal service obligation, postal service establishments often provide parcel and express delivery services in addition to the mail service. Establishments primarily engaged in performing one or more parts of the basic mail service, such as sorting, routing and/or delivery (except bulk transportation of mail) are included in this industry.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Providing bulk transportation of mail on a contract basis to and from postal service establishments--are classified in Industry Group 4841, General Freight Trucking;
- Providing services outside of the basic mail service, such as mail presort, mail consolidation, or address bar coding services, on a contract or fee basis--are classified in U.S. Industry 561499, All Other Business Support Services;
- Providing courier services--are classified in Industry 492110, Couriers and Express Delivery Services;
- Providing mailbox services along with other business services--are classified in U.S. Industry 561431, Private Mail Centers; and
- Providing local messenger and delivery services--are classified in Industry 492210, Local Messengers and Local Delivery.
|491110||491110||491110||Postal delivery services, local, operated by U.S. Postal Service|
|491110||491110||491110||Postal delivery services, local, operated on a contract basis|
|491110||491110||491110||Postal services operated by U.S. Postal Service|
|491110||491110||491110||Postal stations operated by U.S. Postal Service|
|491110||491110||491110||Postal stations operated on a contract basis|